Search This Blog

Thursday 3 April 2014

This is why I wanted to know what my status was

Most people have heard and understand the cliché: Ignorance is bliss. We’ve all been there: where we felt better off for not knowing because the truth would be uncomfortable, painful – or just totes awks!

A bunch of people have used this excuse to justify not getting tested to themselves. I think they simply don’t want to take responsibility for their actions. There are scared to face the consequences of their behavior.
I think I am wired differently. 

I fear the unknown and the only way to conquer it is to find out. This is why I wanted to know what my status was. I TOOK THE INITIATIVE. My worst test was super scary. I went with my girlfriend to show that we could trust each other. I was afraid of what would happen if I turned out positive. Would she leave me? Would she think that I cheated on her and not consider that I’d gotten it from a previous sexual partner. If she stayed, what would it mean for our sex life? What if we wanted to have kids eventually?

With all those questions running through my head I can’t describe how I relieved I wad when our results both came out negative. Sure, sometimes what you don’t know won’t hurt you. But when it come s to HIV the opposite is true.  If you don’t know your status not only can you hurt your lover but yourself as well. If you don’t use protection, if you don’t change your lifestyle, if you don’t take your meds – chances are things won’t work out too well.


So I rate ignorance is not bliss because being sick isn’t blissful. So take the step in the right directions and get tested.

No comments: