Search This Blog

Tuesday 10 December 2013

My life in black and white


Sibusiso Banda
I was four years old when South Africa made a peaceful transition to a democratic state. To me back then it didn’t mean anything. But to my parents I’m sure it meant a lot. I’m guessing they had a vision and a plan for a better future because they had named me after the world’s most celebrated South African icon Nelson Mandela.
Like most of the leaders that I looked up to, even in the dire circumstances where everyone had a different view of what would have happened, he had persistent hope that everyone one day will enjoy the fruits of a violent free society. Believe me, the fact that my second name was inspired by Mandela does not make it easy for me to think or even begin of following his footsteps.

I understand that growing up in the Apartheid era my parents did not have it easy like we do today as the youth. I remember when I was young lying on the carpet one day while I was listening to my mother tell her apartheid ordeal. To be honest, while she was going on about having to run every time they saw police and how traumatized she one day had a gun pointed to her face, to me then, it didn’t mean anything. I was only interested in the so called “hippos” and power of holding a gun.

I remember clearly then that during those times gun 'frenzy movies' where the in thing. And as a young star who can blame me when I say that through Jean Claude Van Damme’s movies was how close my vision of reality went.  I was raised with 'no profession expectation' but that of I should be free in making my own choices. And that was the one thing that my parents always seemed emphasize a lot; I can be whatever I want but as long as it’s positive and I’m happy with it.

I think that one of the aspect that one should be grateful for. My mother being hard a working domestic worker never forced us to be doctors or engineer but she only spoiled us with choices. Believe me as a child my hand was prone to smacking, but who can blame. I was one hack of a naughty kid. But don’t get me wrong, my parents and especially my late grandmother who stayed in Tembisa were very friendly;  we had an open relationship were we could talk free and laugh about anything. But despite all of that they were serious in showing and making you learn what is wrong and right.
Fast forwarding to 23 years later, as we are about to mark the 19th anniversary of democracy, one can’t help but wonder if how freedom is progressing not just on a family level but also on individuality. Based on the personal stories I have heard and read about, things are clearly different today. As the youth we face a whole new different struggle.  Unemployment is one major battle that most often tend to think that it always lives us scared.  I think that is not really the case. To be honest we are just too lazy to realize the full potential of the skills we have.

There is no doubt that when we compare the pre-democratic days and with today’s technologically advance society were a new world of more employment opportunities than there had been before. I mean, 19 years ago who would have thought that there would ever be a job position that is called social media manager or strategist.
Entrepreneurship is not only a word given to those who have the money to start businesses or bid for government tenders. A lot complain about unemployment but the truth is if your jobless, you actually have too much time on your hand. What are you doing with that time? Most spend it on social networks updating their statutes and retweeting friends. The truth is that time could be utilized for empowering oneself.

Like most of my colleges after sending a million applications to almost every company and media organization requesting employment, I was amongst those who were fortunate to have been offered an internship at one of the biggest media companies that I always wanted to work for , Media 24 in Cape Town. Through the phone call, they told me I can come and start the following day, but being that it was short notice, I was broke. I guess maybe this is what Malema waved on about when he raged "economic freedom" or maybe not!

My point is, being based in Gauteng, 1473 km away from the location, I had no clue on how to go about it, where I would stay and how I would pay for rent. I’ve been to Cape Town and I’ve seen how expensive live is especially in the city centre near where the organization is based. So essentially I couldn’t go
But I haven’t given up yet.  I’m currently on an internship at the Tshwane University of Technology.  I’m in charge of producing weekly news bulletins, chairing dairy meetings and teaching students how to edit video footage.  Although it’s not what I wanted,  I’m happy about what I do as I’m still in the media industry and I’m in the business of grooming future journalism professionals.

My focus has not changed.  Sometimes you need to head the other way to so you can be able to reach your full potentials and goals.  I will be heading to Cape Town hopefully next year. This year through this internship, I’m learning as much as I can and I’m also saving too so that I can be financially prepared.
I’m a man on a mission.

 

No comments: